Summer Incubation Program ’12
SIP was a 12-week summer program designed to support the growing number of student run startups. Based out of the NYU-Poly Incubators, 9 teams went through weekly workshops, one-on-one mentoring sessions, presentations by entrepreneurs, and feedback from investors to help transform their ideas to ventures that are able to scale and reach profitability. These events were open to all NYU students, but were mandatory for participant startups, who had to present their progress in a pitch on the final demo day for a prize.
- 10 teams enter program, 5 teams pitch on final demo day, 1 winner
- Stern Business school, Wagner School of Public Service, NYU-Poly
- 40 students at weekly Wednesday night events
- 18 speakers from NYC community
- 5 mentors for startups
- 5 investors give feedback and judge pitches
Summer Incubation Program ‘13
Due to the success of the past program, we will have one next summer as well. Having been through it then we know to make it shorter (8 weeks approx. vs. 12) and which types of speakers/subjects to focus on.
- more workshops and one-on-one mentoring
- more customer development/market validation
- more practice pitching
- University Summer Startup Accelerators Come to a Close- Forbes
- A Much Needed SIP: Summer Incubation Program for Student Startups